Lewis Center, Ohio, has Great Caverns
Located 20 miles due north of Columbus, Ohio, is the small township of Lewis Center. Founded in 1850, it was named for William L. Lewis because his family gave up their land there for a railroad station in exchange for the naming rights. A post office was established there just two years later. Columbus, OH can be seen here.
Olentangy Indian Caverns
People come from miles around to see the Olentangy Indian Caverns located in Lewis Center. Archeologists have determined that the Wyandotte Indians used the caverns for shelter against the weather and to defend themselves from the Delaware Indian raids.
Artifacts indicate that the Wyandotte Indians were still using the caverns as late as 1810. These caves occur on three different levels and have many hallways and passages. It is believed that the caves were formed millions of years ago when an underground river used to run through the limestone rocks. The running water dissolved the limestone rocks and left the caverns.
After the Native Americans left the area, a passer-by in a wagon train discovered the caves again in 1821 and carved his initials and date at the opening of one of the caves.
Today at the Caverns you can take tours of the winding passages and the hidden underground rooms. Kids will love it. Click here to read about Rose Run Greenway and Park in New Albany, Ohio.